Fancy a weekend trip a short hop from Singapore to escape the haze? Well Langkawi certainly has a lot to offer in terms of beautiful scenery, nature and pristine white beaches…everything you need for a relaxing weekend away and to give you a flavor for the island here are 10 things you need to know…
Have you ever been to Langkawi? I would love to know what you thought 🙂 give me a shout in the comments below and share your thoughts.
- 1. Langkawi is one of only two islands, which are inhabited out of the 99 islands that make up this Archipelago.
- 2. Langkawi is the size of Singapore. Yep, really.
- 3. Only 65,000 people inhabit the island, so you won’t find much traffic on the roads even at peak hours. Perfection.
- 4. Langkawi was granted UNESCO Global Geopark status back in 2007 due to its mangrove forests, blue lagoons and ancient rainforests all over the island.
- 5. The highest point on Langkawi is 800 metres high at the top of Gunung Raya, where you can expect spectacular views of the island and its surroundings, however be warned as it is quite a lengthy drive to reach the peak.
- 6. The two largest and most popular wet markets are situated in Kuah Town and the other in Padang Matsirat. Each of these markets are unique selling their own specialties and help to give an insight into what island life is really like here.
- 7. It has long been known as the Jewel of Kedeh as it is situated within the State of Kedah to the north west of Peninsula Malaysia, bordering Thailand.
- 8. Famous for its legends that add colour to the island’s culture now attracting tourists to experience the island’s mystery and allure.
- 9. For all those fans of traditional fish and chips, Tanjung Rhu Beach is home to Scarborough’s Fish and Chips. Who would have thought!
- 10. If you are thinking of visiting it is important to know that there are only three very busy times in Langkawi; two of these are in December for Christmas and New Year and the other shortly after for Chinese New Year. This is also the peak weather season with little rain and long lazy days full of sunshine.